Financial Assistance Online Process
Financial Assistance Online Process
How to apply for financial assistance online
MyMSD is an online service that makes it simple to apply for a benefit, check payments, make appointments with Work and Income and update information when your circumstance or details change.
You can apply for various types of child care and family assistance using MyMSD, including the OSCAR Subsidy, Childcare Subsidy and Accommodation Supplement, so let’s see how the online application process works.
How do you apply for financial assistance via MyMSD?
The first step is to log in to MyMSD. You’ll need a client number to do this, and if you don’t have one or can’t find yours, then Work and Income will be able to help. Just call 0800 559 009.
If you’re new to MyMSD, use your client number and email/phone number to set up a MyMSD, then follow this application process:
- Complete and submit the online form. This will take about half an hour (or you can do it in stages, saving as you go). You have 60 days to finish a saved form, and once your form has been completed and submitted, it will automatically work out what you might get, based on your answers.
- Read and agree to your obligations. There are certain things you need to do when you get financial assistance from Work and Income, and you must confirm in MyMSD that you’ve read and understood your obligations. If you’re not sure what they mean or have concerns, you can speak with Work and Income when they process your application.
- Upload your supporting documents. MyMSD will tell you what documents you need to provide. MyMSD will guide you through the upload process and explain the type of documents they accept. Some applicants will need to fill out a Jobseeker Profile or request a medical certificate from a doctor, so follow the instructions you specifically receive.
- Book an appointment. MyMSD will ask you and your partner (if you have one) to book an appointment to speak with Work and Income. The purpose of this is to go over your application to ensure you’re getting all the financial assistance you’re eligible for. You can book this appointment in MyMSD or by calling Work and Income.
- Wait for your application to be processed. Once Work and Income have received all your information, they will process your application and let you know when this has been done. If you’re not happy with their decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed.
- Wait for payments to start. MyMSD will tell you when payments will begin. Usually, payments start from the date your application was approved, but some payments take longer to begin. Also, keep in mind, that Work and Income pays in arrears, so you won’t be paid in the first week after your payment start date.
- Manage your online information. Going forward, you can log in to MyMSD to check your payments, tell the government about changes to your circumstances and view correspondence you’ve been sent.
Depending on your circumstances and application, your partner might need to complete some of the above steps in their MyMSD too.
What is the application process for new clients?
If you don’t have a client number and are new to the world of Work and Income, then you can apply for financial assistance via RealMe instead of MyMSD.
This process requires you, and perhaps your partner, to:
- Log in to RealMe and complete the online form for new clients. If you don’t have a log-in, you can create one, and just like in MyMSD, the form will automatically work out what you might get, based on your answers.
- Submit the online form. You’ll receive a confirmation containing your reference number, next steps and the supporting documents you must supply.
- Follow Work and Income’s directions. The government will let you know if you need to do, or supply, anything else.
- Wait for your application to be processed. Once Work and Income have received all your information, they’ll process your application and confirm that this has been done. As with MyMSD applications, you can ask for a review of the decision if you disagree with it.
- Wait for payments to start. As mentioned above, payments mostly start from the date your application was approved, with some exceptions, and the government paying money in arrears.
- Manage your information in MyMSD. Once you’re a client of Work and Income and are getting payments, you can then log in to MyMSD to keep your information current and check your payments, going forward.
Where can you get help with an online application?
If you’re encountering problems, then these Work and Income trouble-shooting links might help you:
- Complete your online application
- Find a saved or submitted online form
- Reset your MyMSD pin
- Save MyMSD to your home screen of your phone or other device, so it’s easier to access
If problems persist, the Work and Income online help team are available weekdays between 8am and 5pm. To get through to them, call 0800 559 009 and say ‘online help’ at the prompt.
This child care article was last reviewed or updated on Monday, 11 May 2020
LET'S GET SOCIAL
WANT MORE? SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER TODAY!
NEED MORE INFO? CHECK OUT OUR OTHER CATEGORIES
- General Information on Child Care
- Approaches to Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Research
- Early Childhood Education & Care Centres
- Home Based Care
- Out of School Hours Care
- Playcentres & Playgroups
- Nannies & Au Pairs
- Government Policy & Quality Standards
- Work & Child Care
- Child Care Tool Kits
- Safety & Security
- Health, Wellbeing & Nutrition
- Arts, Crafts & Activity Ideas
- Parenting & Family Life
- Profiles & Interviews